Friday, March 2, 2007

Completely or Universally Victorious

I got curious and started looking this up. I think it's neat to know the meaning of your chosen name.

Name: Emma
Gender: Female
Origin: German, English, Finnish, Dutch
Meaning: Whole. Complete. Universal. All-containing.
Famous: name was borne by the mother of Edward the Confessor and by an 11th-century German saint. also the name of the central character in Jane Austen's novel 'Emma', the matchmaker Emma Woodhouse.

Name: Collette
Gender: Female
Origin: French, Greek
Meaning: Necklace. Victorious. Variant of Nicolette.
Famous: Saint Colette was a 15th-century French nun who gave her money to the poor. also the pen name of the French author Sidonie-Gabrielle Colette.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've definitely chosen a beautiful name. Have you considered writing to the Colletine Poor Clares to get them praying for baby Emma Collette? Can't hurt.

How are you hanging in there, Jessica? Are you feeling confident in your choice of the physicians who will treat her after birth? Do you have choices? I know every insurance carrier is different in this regard, but sometimes they can be helpful in terms of finding the best available care team.

Sometimes this kind of stuff (choosing drs/hospitals) is the only control you can grab onto in these kinds of situations . . .

Anonymous said...

Great name. Its neat to know the history of names. I have no doubt emma will make your life complete and whole and vice versa. Hang in there and let me know what I can do to help out. I'll start by ending my evil plan to have the fcc fine you.

Anonymous said...

I noticed you found a way to (kinda) name her after one of the greatest people you know... variation of Nicolette...which is a variation of...do I have to actually spell it out? Thanks, Jess. I love you, too.

N

PS Have you seen the Wendy's commercial yet? That song is permanently imbedded in my brain now. At least it is a fun song.