Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Blood work: negative

The nurse from the MFM doctor's office just called, with the results of my blood test.
We were testing for exposure to two things: cytomegalovirus, and toxoplasmosis (the cat box virus). When mom and I were researching the diagnoses, exposure to those came up as possible causes for both anomalies, gastroschisis and hydrocephalus.
Well, I came back negative for exposure to both, either past or present. And I got a warning from the nurse to stay away from sick kids, as they are the most common carriers of CMV.
So, what do we know now? We know that we may never know what (if anything) caused these problems. Sometimes things just happen.
Keep thinking good thoughts for Emma. May she continue to be a fighter!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for sending out this link. i've been on tenterhooks as to how you were doing. i'm also making her a maple leaf blanket.

Anonymous said...

She's beautiful!! An mfm once told me that with all the things that have to fall into place at just the right moment, it's a miracle that babies develop normally . . . it just puts a different lens on it.

Amy said...

Thank you for creating the blog. I've added it to my blog roll and will be reading it often.

My prayers are with you and Emma (and all your family).

God bless

Catherine said...

Jess, I agree with what Monica said. It's similar to what I tell my patient's moms. Most of these things occur way before you even have a clue you're pregnant. For all you know you were exposed to someone with a minor virus and that caused a "hiccup" in Emma's development. There's just no way to know for sure and to be honest it's not worth worrying about - you can't undo it. I'm glad you're keeping her, you'll be a great mom (actually you already are).

You and Emma have been in my prayers and all of my patient's families prayers since your Mom told us what's been happening. If I can print some of these pictures I'll be flashing that adorable mug around town the way I do Rebecca's pictures.

Anonymous said...

Emma Collette, what a beautiful name for a beautiful little girl. Do you know the meaning of those names?
Emma is derived from the Germanic, meaning 'whole' or 'universal' and Collette is a variation on Colette, which is the French feminine pet form on Nicolette. And Nicolette is from Nicholas, which originates in the Greek word 'nike', or 'victory'. So your daughter is named 'universal or whole victory'---I can't think of a more promising name for her! God be with you as she grows~