Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Updates, no photos (yet)

I have three sets of ultrasound photos to be scanned in and explained. But I rely on my roommate for this, so I can't post them until they are scanned. And I'm not pushing her on it. Let me just tell you, though, the most recent set are amazing. She's got her hand in front of her face, and it is just the CUTEST thing.

Over Easter, I flew to IL to visit my folks (and Bebe, who came for the holiday as well). We also were visited by my Aunt C, her husband E, their two foster kids, and my Gram (great-grandmother). Mom, Bethany, and I went to Target and registered for a bunch of baby stuff. The "big stuff" is all Graco in the "Family Tree" pattern (it's green and has jungle animals). Oh, I've also registered (just a little bit) on Amazon (mostly for books and the like). I tried to do a Babies R Us registry online, but got stymied and figured I'd stick with the two.

As for registry items and sizes, I'm expecting Emma to be hospitalized for (roughly) the first two months of her life, so things in the 0-3 range (and up) is fine. She isn't expected to be that small, other than the fact that I am small, and ran below the growth charts (though not in "failure to thrive" ranges).

I met yesterday (4/24) with the pediatric surgeon who will be performing the gastroschisis repair, and he said that she should be able to wear normal onesies and clothing once she comes home. I have to make an appointment with the pediatric neurologist / neurosurgeon and find out how the hydrocephalus might affect things before I say definitively that she can wear certain things, or fit into certain items (car seat / stroller / etc). He also reassured me that her surgeries (for the gastro, at least) shouldn't be too long or drawn out, and that my research has served me well. (If you have further questions about that meeting, ask.)

My baby shower date is set, and I believe invitations are going out this week. Please understand why I can't post that information here. If you want details, email me privately (don't post a comment).

I've gained nearly 25 pounds, and still have another 10 (or so) weeks to go. It is mostly showing up front (boobs and belly). I've also got edema (swelling) in my feet and hands, and the swelling has brought back my carpal tunnel in heretofore unknown strength. I wake up some days and can't feel the fingers on my right hand at all. It's a very pins-and-needles feeling. All the doctors can say is get a brace (I invested in a brand-new one for my right hand, recommended by my sister Leen). Mom suggested I soak in tubs and swim. (I need to get a maternity swimsuit; I think I'll buy one at Old Navy Maternity online.)

I passed my glucose screen at the end of March, so no gestational diabetes. I do have anemia, though, and I am now on Iron pills to keep those levels up.

Only two more weeks of prenatal education classes. Tonight is breastfeeding; next week (the final class) is Infant First Aid and CPR. I still need to find out about a prepared c-section class.

So many things to get done in the next 2 months, including meeting with more doctors and taking hospital tours (multiple). Please continue to keep us in your prayers; knowing people are thinking good thoughts for us helps me when I get down.

No comments: