Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Maternity leave headaches

I'm trying to figure out my maternity leave situation. I talked to the HR dude here at my office, and this is what I have determined.

FMLA allows 12 weeks, unpaid.
Employer says you have to take currently accrued sick / vacation at beginning of leave.
Short term disability (STD) provider gives 6 weeks vaginal delivery, 8 weeks c-section (at 60% of your salary), and has a 2-week waiting period (which should be covered by the accrued sick / vacay).
During STD leave, employer requires employee to pay their portion of health insurance costs (which will increase with the addition of a dependent, which must occur within 30 days of birth).
Emma is expected to be hospitalized for 2 months, maybe longer.

The only way to get the STD coverage (2/3 pay) is to take ALL my leave at the beginning. Then, when she comes home, I'll have whatever time remains from the FMLA coverage to stay at home and bond, unpaid (and still having to pay my insurance costs and rent and everything else).

All this and the expected medical bills too. (and no expected other income)

I'm trying to get organized, see all the right doctors, get all the right questions answered. But I feel like I'm drowning.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jess, have you contacted your insurance provider directly? If it's a good one, they will assign you a case manager. This person is usually someone who worked in a peds or surgical specialty who can help you jump through the insurance hoops. ALso, a hospital social worker might have some ideas for you.

Anonymous said...

Jess, sorry - one more thing. Keep this handy, it might be something you can use at some point, especially if Emma Collette's needs are more complicated than expected:

http://www.uhccf.org/headline_1.24.2007.html