Saturday, May 5, 2007

OB visit, 05/03/07

Emma's weight, 3 lb 10 oz
fluid level good (tech seemed surprised, as gastro babies often have low fluid levels)
tentative c-section date: Monday, July 2 (which could change, and which my OB won't schedule as a firm date until two weeks out)

a little story about the visit...
I went in for my bi-weekly appointment with my regular OB. Got there, peed in the cup, and proceeded to sit around for a half-hour. Then a nurse comes by, and does the blood pressure and weighing thing (110/60, 161.5). She says something about going back to wait, and I say, aren't I due for a BPP ultrasound? They say, the chart doesn't say so, and I explain it. My doctor is there, taking a page, and she nods. So, the nurses scramble around, and squeeze me in with the U/S tech. Apparently, when I saw another doctor last week, she forgot to notate the chart to schedule me for a BPP U/S and a doctor's visit. The U/S tech was supposed to already be leaving (for her teen son's baseball game), but did the readings and even got me a few good pictures.

Then, it was back to the waiting area. When I finally got into the exam room, the nurse had to do a doppler (the U/S tech didn't realize I hadn't already had one), so it was more goop (my friend T figures I'm probably responsible for at least two bottles of that stuff being used up already with all the U/S I've had). More goop, a good heartbeat at around 150, and then the nurse says I'm due for a Pap. I politely argue with her that the chart notation is wrong, because I last had a Pap/colpo in March, and we had discussed a 3-month follow-up. So, she says she'll wait for the doc. The doc comes in, I ask my questions (another iron pill scrip, swelling, tentative date for C-sec). She mentions the Pap, I politely argue with her again, and she says, we'll do it anyway, and hands me the sheet. I go to the bathroom, and while I'm gone, the doc is re-reading the chart. Turns out I was right, and didn't need the Pap.

The moral of the story is that you have to take care of your own medical care. Keep track of your own stuff, and be your own advocate.

Photos from visit to be posted when they are scanned. Some cute ones from that visit (of course).

In other news:
My mom met someone at a conference who is from Memphis who wants to be a midwife. This woman gave mom the name of a chiropractor who is good with pregnancies to pass along to me. Yesterday, I looked up the Chiro on the net, and gave them a call. Turns out they are down the street from my office, and take my insurance. I have an appointment for next week.

My shower is set for next weekend. I'm so excited to see everyone who can make it, including my mom and baby sister. I'm also extraordinarily thankful to the person who is throwing it.

No comments: