Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Lungs mature, heading to hospital for delivery

I went for the amnio today at 1:30. My sister was able to make it here by 10 am, and was with me through the ultrasounds (her first, and she was amazed at the 3D images) and the amnio. In fact, my sister held one hand, the U/S tech held the other. After the amnio, they hooked me to a monitor to check the baby's heartbeat and check if I was having contractions (the NST monitor). I was contracting, and they kept me on the monitor for about 40 minutes or so (after the paper broke and jammed twice). Every nurse in the place and the MFM came and checked it. I think the amnio may have triggered the contractions, which were coming 3-5 minutes apart and didn't really hurt all that much, though my back hurt.

(Oh, BTW, the doctor apologized today for his manner of presentation yesterday. Apparently, the nurse gave him a lecture about how he treated me!)

They decided I was okay to go home about the time my mom arrived. (Her bosses made arrangements for her to come down, provided she's back there by midday Friday.) They said they would call with results, and someone from my doctor's office would call me and discuss the results and where to go from there. To be on the safe side, they said no food, just fluids. My mom and sister got me home, got me laying down, and I got a little sleep (and the contractions subsided).

My regular OB is out of town, and I just got a call from her backup, saying the lungs were mature, and that it would be best to go ahead and deliver tonight. So, we're heading there now. I expect to be seeing Emma (unfortunately, not holding her) tonight or early tomorrow.

I'm scared. I know she'll be strong, and be a fighter, and that we are doing what is best for her.

Thank you for your continued prayers, and someone will update as soon as they can.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

praying for you both!!!!! Please call me!
Erin Hillis

Brans said...

Im praying for you and Emma.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess! I am so excited you are having a little girl. I know you are scared for her. You are certainly in my prayers. I look forward to seeing you both when you are ready.

Salome Ellen said...

For a picture, you can go to Jess' mom's blog http://fructusventris.stblogs.org/. Sorry I'm a klutz with links, but you can copy and paste.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you. They may be an hour late (eastern time) but they're with you. You and Emma are going to be just fine.